Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Great Truck Exchange..

12/17/11 3:00 pm  Picked up the truck at Penske.  Because no 22' truck was available, I was given a 26 footer with a diesel engine.  Drove the beast home and took out a curb or two.  Still getting my truck legs wet..


9:00 pm  I realize I was given a larger truck than ordered.  Nervousness sets in and I call Penske to reserve a smaller truck.  All they had was a 16 footer.  Reserved it for pickup in the morning.


12/18/11 8:00 am Argue with my mom about downgrading to a smaller truck.  She wins and I call Penske to cancel the 16 footer.  Reluctantly start loading up the 26' truck.  Starting to feel the size of it get bigger and bigger and thoughts of windy roads & ice storms danced through my head.  


2:30 pm  Aspen, Nick and I have loaded most of the furniture with plenty of room to spare. I spastically freak out and call Penske to take back the 16' truck.  Argue with my mom about downgrading to a smaller truck.  I win and drive down to get it.





3:00 pm Drive to the Home Depot on the other side of town.  Aspen, Nick and I load the the 26' truck onto the 16' truck.  


2:00 am Have most of the items shoved into the 16 foot truck.  Have broken down everything that can be broken down and unscrewed everything that can be unscrewed... Bedtime.



12/19/11 8:00 am Wake up and load the rest of the truck.  By the skin of our teeth we get the last vacuum cleaner in without room left for a toothpick.  Honda's loaded..Scion's loaded..Truck's loaded.. and what's left behind is a child's bed, wicker chair and a small desk.. We did it!

4:30 pm  Time to hit the open road.. Gotta stop by Penske to have them attach the trailer for my car.  Penske guy looks concerned.  Penske guy talks to other Penske guy who calls Penske corporate guy.  Truck is overloaded.  Leaf springs are frowning instead of smiling and so am I.  Sure we could drive off with it and the breaks could give out and the tires could explode but I'm not feelin too lucky these days.  We drive to Penke Corporate during rush hour, get lost but make our way there.  Penske corporate agrees.  We are overloaded.  Back to the 26 footer.


6:00 pm  Aspen, Nick and I load the 16 footer back onto the 26 footer.

9:00 pm Drive back to the house & pick up the child's bed, wicker chair and small desk.

10:00 pm We finally hit I-10 & I've become the connoisseur of Penske Trucks (I'm also ready for a nap and a lobotomy)